Friday, February 25, 2011

Our Untamable Tongue


This week in my Good Morning Girls Study Group we have been studying James 3.  It is all about controlling your tongue.  I really like this chapter in James it really made me look at myself and how I can control my tongue.  I am an observer and listener by nature.  But don't get me wrong there have been times I just have to get my opinion out and said things I should not have said.  This chapter has taught me these things:

1.  The tongue is a very small part of the body but it can also cause the most trouble.

2.  The evil that can come off the tongue is frightening.  It can damage marriages, friendships, churches etc.

3.  With our tongue we praise our heavenly Father and then also use it to hurt someone by the things we say.  So our tongue is inconsistent.

4.  Our tongue is untamable, it is like a caged animal just waiting for the right opportunity to break out.

For me God has given me a sign when to keep my mouth shut.  I get this burning sensation in my stomach going all the way to my mouth and I get this feeling of  "Oh I can not wait till they are done talking to set them straight."  That fire in my stomach is a sign for me to keep my mouth shut I am about to unload on someone or say something I am going to regret.  Instead I pray about it.  I do not always need to give my opinion or get upset.  Yes it is very hard to do and I mess up a lot.  But God knows that I am definitely a work in progress.   So I am working very hard on this and trying to remember I can not put back in my mouth what has already come out of it. 

I hope you can take a few moments to read James 3.  

Blessings

Crystal

3 comments:

  1. Amen to your post! The older I get the more I realize how important it is to listen and not always speak!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I like what you said about not being able to put back into your mouth what has come out of it. If you haven't already, you should check out Courtney's blog for today where she has a video with her children talking about this same stuff.

    God Bless & have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading through James is always a toughy. One can't help but look inward and find what needs to be worked on!

    Great reflections!

    ReplyDelete