I get a lot of thinking done when I am doing my evening dishes. For some odd reason I was thinking about all the sounds I hear in a day. Some of my favorite sounds right now are:
1. My husband stirring in the mornings to get ready for work at 3:15 a.m. Yes that is early but I love the sound of him getting ready because he is so lucky to have a job.
2. My sons bedroom door creaking open at 5:00 a.m. because we are blessed to have a friend with his own company and he employs my son every summer.
3. The birds singing me a song as I head to the kitchen to do my morning devotions.
4. Going in to wake my youngest because she has volleyball camp and hearing her stir under the covers.
5. The hum of the air conditioner and ceiling fans. Oh how I love that sound. I think it goes back to my childhood and staying with my grandma and grandpa. Love, Love that sound.
6. My dog chasing my cat. I love hearing them race up and down the stairs teasing each other.
7. The sound of my phone ringing around 7:20 a.m. every morning. Alyssa just telling me she is headed to work and any other news she has for me. I love that we talk several times a day.
8. The sound of cabinets banging and the frig door opening after hard days. I love this because God has blessed us with more than enough food that my hubby, son and growing girl can have a light snack before dinner.
9. The sounds of all the neighborhood children outside playing because it is finally summer break. Love hearing noises kids make as they play outside on a warm day.
10. Just the quite of our home. I work so hard to make it a peaceful place for our family.
Those are just my top ten for today. I could write a lot more but I think you get the idea.
So now it has me thinking, I have a few things I am asking God to speak to me about and guide me in the right direction. I wonder if he has been speaking to me but I am always in such a hurry and a tornado going on in my head that I am just not hearing him?
I am going to try to follow this verse, James 1:19 Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. I am going to make a conscious choice to start listening better.
What are you hearing?